Making Ways is a new programme supported by Sheffield Culture Consortium through Arts Council England to showcase, celebrate and develop exceptional contemporary visual art and making in the city.
The aim of the Making Ways programme is to support and develop the careers of artists and makers in Sheffield; to listen to the artist’s voice and enable fruitful relationships across Sheffield to grow; to develop audiences for visual art in Sheffield and support activity that engages audiences in active participation; and to raise Sheffield’s profile as a nurturing centre for visual art and making.
We have brought together an Artists Panel to shape Making Ways, reflecting the needs and aspirations of the wide variety of ways of working and career stages of artists and makers in the city.
Visual arts organisations in Sheffield have been encouraged to challenge their programming, embracing new collaborative working with artists, business and the public sector.
A steering group, representing many of the visual arts organisations in the city, not only secured the Arts Council England Ambition for Excellence funding but also continues to deliver the programme, supported by the Making Ways Coordinator Janet Jennings.
In the first year of the project, more than 70 artists have been supported through a range of projects:
- Feature Walls : October 2016
- The Desire Paths: October 2016
- Manor Makers: October 2016 – January 2017
- Line Cut Supply: October 2016 – February 2017
- Site Platform: February 2017
- Everything Flows: June-September 2017
- Ways of Making: May 2017 – April 2019
- Orchard Square residencies: August – November 2017
- Open Call – August 2017
A continuing Professional Development Programme for artists and makers is also being developed, with more than 25 participants benefitting so far.
The project will also create a Visual Art Strategy for Sheffield.
Future projects include:
- Formations at AND Festival: September 2017
- Art in the Home: September/October 2017
- Fine Art Bridge Scheme: October 2017
- Construction House at S1: December 2017
- Art Walks
- Large commission
As a result of Making Ways, we hope that artistic excellence will be visible in the city, and Sheffield will be seen as a good place for artists to study, live and practice.
For more information on Making Ways, please contact Janet.Jennings@museums-sheffield.org.uk